Early assessment of the local measures currently in place in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde local authority areas suggests they are working to slow the increase in cases.
While the rest of Scotland will have to adopt new rules on gatherings announced last week, (indoors or outdoors gatherings must not exceed six people from two households), these stricter measures should continue to be followed in the seven local authority areas affected.
The restrictions, recommended by the National Incident Management Team chaired by Public Health Scotland, will apply to people living in or visiting the local authority areas and will next be reviewed on Tuesday, September 22.
∙ People should not meet with people from other households in indoor household settings, whether in the affected local authority areas or elsewhere. Members of up to two households (maximum of six people) can continue to meet outdoors, including in gardens, and in hospitality settings, provided all existing guidance is followed
∙ If anyone living in these areas is identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, they and all those in their extended household should self-isolate for 14 days
∙ Indoor visits to hospitals and care homes will be limited to essential visits only to protect the most vulnerable. Outdoor visits to care homes are permitted by three people from a maximum of two households, in line with current guidance.
∙ Those households who have formed an extended household and people providing care and support – for example caring for an elderly family member or delivering shopping - can continue to meet indoors with enhanced hygiene measures in place.
People living in all affected local authority areas who were previously shielding are asked to be particularly vigilant.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said: “It is clearly regrettable that these restrictions need to continue. I understand that this will not be welcome news for people living in these areas but given the continued worrying increase in cases we continue to see we must act to get more control over the virus in these areas. But while cases remain on the rise, early indications show these measures are working.
“I would ask everyone in the affected areas to continue being extra vigilant, to follow all guidance and to isolate and book a test if they have any symptoms. Do not lose ground now.
“Above all, I want to emphasise that getting a test – and even getting a negative result – is not a substitute for self-isolating. If you have symptoms, or if you are contacted by our Test and Protect team and told to do so, you will need to self-isolate.
“Over 900,000 people have already downloaded the Protect Scotland app, which is a really important way to support Test and Protect and also to keep our communities safe. In the face of COVID, we can all feel a bit powerless but, if you have the means, using the app is a way of doing something positive that helps the collective effort.”
Restrictions are currently in place in Glasgow City, East Renfrewshire, Renfrewshire, East Dunbartonshire, West Dunbartonshire, North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire. The next review will be on Tuesday 22 September.
The Scottish Government has not ruled out extending restrictions if necessary to protect public health.