Hamburg shooting: 8 people confirmed dead including shooter at Jehovah’s Witness hall
At least 8 people including the gunman have been killed in a shooting in a Jehovah’s Witness meeting hall in Hamburg, Germany.
and live on Freeview channel 276
At least eight people have died, including the gunman, in a shooting at a Jehovah’s Witness meeting hall in Hamburg, Germany on Thursday (March 10). The attack happened at about 9.15pm local time, when a gunman opened fire killing and injuring several people.
According to Hamburg police, there is “no reliable information on the motive", and the police have confirmed the gunman is among the dead. Reports came in at 9.15pm local time that gunshots had been fired in the building, according to police spokesperson Holger Vehren.
Police on the scene found people that "may have been seriously injured by firearms, some of them fatally", Mr Vehren said.
"The officers also heard a shot from the upper part of the building and went upstairs, where they also found a person. So far we have no indications that any perpetrators fled. All we know is that several people have died here, several people have been injured, they have been taken to hospitals. "
As investigation continues at the scene, no victims have yet been identified. According to German magazine Spiegel, the gunman was a former Jehovah’s Witness member.
The German chancellor Olaf Scholtz condemned the shooting, calling it a “brutal act of violence”, and said his thoughts are with the victims and their families. Jehovah’s Witness Germany has also issued a statement saying they are "deeply saddened by the horrific attack on its members at the Kingdom Hall in Hamburg after a religious service".
Hamburg mayor, Peter Tschentscher, said on Twitter: "I extend my deepest sympathy to the families of the victims. The forces are working at full speed to pursue the perpetrators and clarify the background.”