Defeat for 10-man United

Cumbernauld United.......... 1Glenafton........................... 3Stagecoach West of ScotlandDivision 1

UNITED'S opening league game was lost more to the fact that they played the whole of the second half with only ten men.

Phill Barclay got a red card right on half time for punching the ball off the goal line, preventing a certain goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

So it was always going to be an uphill battle in the second half for them.

However, overall United played well enough and matched their Ayrshire opponents for most of the game.

The opening ten minutes saw Glens pressure United in an attempt to get an early goal, but keeper Davie Buchanan kept them out.

United started to come into the game and Steele after 12 minutes forced Semple to save it full stretch.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After 20 minutes United's James Brown forced Semple again to save and then Gary McClymont was caught inches offside as he connected with a James Brown cross.

Glens were being tested as well as testing United, but the willingness of United to have a go at them was not expected. Glens' keeper Semple saved his side on a few occasions blocking efforts from GIbson and Ally Brown.

With two minutes to go Glens forced a corner, and from the cross ball was headed in, but Phil Barclay punched the ball clear. With the ref unsighted the linesman raised his flag, informed the referee of an incident so Glens were awarded a penalty and Barclay got red carded and sent off.

Glens' Armstrong spotted the ball and struck, but United keeper Dave Buchanan guessed right and saved to keep the teams level at half time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

United started the second period on the offensive and put Glens under pressure, but as luck would have it Glens broke upfield and were awarded a softish penalty for what looked like a shoulder to shoulder incident. Keeper Buchanan was beaten this time by Scoular who put Glens 1-0 ahead on 59 minutes.

United didn't let the heads drop and were on attack again and were awarded a spot kick for a hand ball, but Gary Gibson's kick was too soft and keeper Semple saved.

But United levelled in 63 minutes when Gibson eluded two defenders and glided the ball past Semple into the far corner of the net.

Two minutes later Glens took the lead, catching out United defence and Wilson hit past Buchanan. Glens tied it up after 76 minutes when Wilson again was in the right place to head home a cross from Ure. So it ended with the points going to Glens.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Untied's players have got to be applauded for their efforts, they were certainly not easy prey for Glenafton and who knows what may have happened if they had ten men on the field for the full 90 minutes.

This Saturday United travel to Shotts on league business, kick off 2pm as usual.

CUMBERNAULD UNITED: Buchanan, Renwick, J. Brown, Marsh, Dearie, Barclay, Jarvis, Gibson, A. Brown, Steele, McClymont. Subs: McNally, McPhee, Hayman, Caldwell, Mills, Hill, McLaughlin.

GLENAFTON: Semple, Mullen, McKillop, Ramsay, Baillie, Millar, Atha, McKenzie, Armstrong, Wilson, Scoular. Subs: Howie, Ure, Barbour, Coarley, McChisney.

Match sponsor: Kenny McHugh, Manhattan Mobile Bars.

Manhattan Mobile Bars MoM: James Brown (United).