Double win for ‘Lok and Spiders

POLLOK scraped into the third round of the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup on Saturday, but were made to fight all the way by Burghead Thistle at Forrest Park.

Lok threatened early when both Kevin Bradley and Iain Diack had shots cleared off the line.

At the other end, Scott Morrison held a 30-yard drive by Garry MacNicol before ‘Lok threatened again, with Payne tipping over a Paul McQuilken effort.

After much Lok pressure, they were rewarded after 24 minutes when Mark Crilly hit a perfectly placed free-kick beyond Payne’s reach to give them the lead.

His side moved two ahead two minutes before half-time when Crilly picked out Diack, who clipped the ball into the net.

The hosts came out swinging in the second half and were rewarded in the 59th minute when sub Kyle Stewart hit the net.

Minutes later Burghead were reduced to ten men when Sutherland’s tackle sent Bradley flying into the air, and he was shown a straight red by the referee.


There was however a real scare for ‘Lok with just nine minutes left to play when Derek Ramsay released Kyle Stewart, but the Morrison stood firm to thwart the Burghead man.

There was time for one more great stop from Payne, this time blocking a fierce Crilly strike with his legs and the final whistle blew seconds later, much to the relief of the travelling support.

‘Lok are away again this weekend, this time against Rob Roy. Kick-off at Adamslie Park is 2pm.

Meanwhile, Ian Watt’s strike gave Queen’s Park a last-minute win at Stranraer.

Jamie Longworth got the visitors of the mark when he headed home Martin McBride’s corner after 10 minutes but Stranraer hit back with a simple finish from Martin Grehan.

Grehan turned provider five minutes later, when he set up Malcolm from the right who rifled the ball into the roof of the net.


Sub Craig Smith scored the equaliser for Queen’s Park after 72 minutes, with a diving header that diverted Paul Stewart’s wayward shot into the net.

A minute before the final whistle Watt found himself perfectly positioned to slot home David Murray’s cross to secure a dramatic win for the Spiders.

Next week, Queen’s Park host Annan Athletic at Hampden.