Easy doze it as Queen’s Park hit five past miserable East Stirlingshire at Hampden

Shire’s ‘SleepyHeads’ were caught napping once again as they drifted into a 5-1 nightmare against Queen’s Park in Glasgow.

The start of the match pretty much highlighted Queen’s Park’s intentions as Woods, Duggan and McKernon all found space to fire in shots which the defence managed to block.

After 11 minutes Duggan reasserted the home side’s attacking intentions but blazed a free-kick high over the Shire goal. Both sides then struggled to get a clear route to goal but Queen’s broke the deadlock in the 19th minute

From Marlow’s corner Duggan’s shot on the turn was blocked only as far as Wood on the edge of the box whose bullet shot was parried by Barnard onto the shins McGeever which diverted the ball into the empty net.

Ninety seconds later it was 2-0 to the Spiders with Barnard unlucky once again. It looked like he had dealt Burns’ inswinging ball but it somehow eluded his grasp and Duggan snapped up the loose ball to chip the keeper.

Shire could consider themselves lucky when Greene escaped a red card for hauling back Duggan when the home striker left him for dead with a sharp turn.

Barnard also redeemed himself with a decent low save to his right from Galt’s shot but the Spiders remained in control for the rest of the first half.


There were no changes for either side at the break and Barnard had to be on his toes within four minutes of the restart to tip over a Woods header.

Kinnaird then booted Duggan’s cheeky backheeler off the line before Shire boss Craig Tully made two changes taking Court and Vidler off for McKenna and Roy who made an impact in the 61st minute when he was in the right place at the right time to side-foot Shire’s solitary strike home to make it 2-1.

Muir was booked as he and the sub went to retrieve the ball from the net.

Six minutes later though the two-goal deficit was maintained when Duggan netted a penalty which he did with ease.

Barnard denied Galt from an awkward angle before Referee Nick Walsh lost his patience with Donaldson after he mistimed his challenge on Burns and received a red card.

Galt then increased the lead to 4-1 by blasting past Barnard after he parried a shot


Carter then put the icing on the cake with five minutes remaining when he stroked the ball home for the fifth,