Amateur round-up: cup defeats for Minerva and Harestanes

Campsie Minerva's reign as holders of the JB Tyres Cinema Cup ended when they went down 2-1 at home to St Patricks in a second round tie at the High Park.

Campsie Minerva's reign as Cinema Cup holders was ended by St Patrick's
Campsie Minerva's reign as Cinema Cup holders was ended by St Patrick's
Campsie Minerva's reign as Cinema Cup holders was ended by St Patrick's

There was also cup disappointment for Harestanes as they lost 7-3 to Possil YM in the semi-final of the Bunrigh Trophy semi-final at neutral Dalziel Park in Motherwell; hardly the ideal preparation for the Kirkintilloch side’s Scottish Amateur Cup showdown with holders Colville Park.

However there was success for Campsie Black Watch/Waterside who moved into the third round of the Cinema Cup with a 3-1 win over Steins Thistle.

And there was disappointing news on when Moodiesburn based Postal United announced they would no longer be able to continue as a club after more tyhan 40 years and were folding.

Harestanes 3 Possil YM 7

Harestanes suffered one of their biggest defeats ever in this League Cup semi-final at Dalziel Park.

But disappointing as it was, it will just have to be put aside as they face holders Colville Park in a Scottish Cup showdown this Saturday.

Harestanes started the game in a very low key mode and took around 25 minutes to get really into the match.

In contrast, Possil were well up for the encounter and went at Harestanes with all guns blazing.

Possil threatened right from the start and came close with a free-kick which came back off the upright.

Harper then had a chance to put Harestanes ahead but could not connect cleanly with the ball.

Possil shot into the lead from a free-kick which came off the post. They were quickest to respond, the ball was headed into goal.

Harper came close to equalising with a shot from the right which went narrowly wide left.

Harestanes did manage to get the ball in but was ruled offside and Hamilton headed wide from a corner to the back post.

But towards the end of the first half Possil extended their lead with a header on a cross ball.

Harestanes put themselves back in contention when Burns whacked a 25-yarder into the top right hand corner.

But hope was short lived as Possil scored their third with a shot from the edge of the ‘D’.

Their fourth came from the penalty spot; Travers did manage to get a hand to the ball but was unable to keep it out.

With half an hour left, Fitzsimmons improved thing for Harestanes with a turn and shot into the net. This inspired them to their best spell of the match as Fitzsimmons again scored from a Harper throw-in.

But hope was again dashed as Cawley received his marching orders. Possil scored from the free-kick and two further goals gave them their grand total of seven and a place in the final.

Harestanes Tote: no winners, £50 rollover.

Campsie Minerva 1 St Patricks 2

Holders Campsie Minerva went out of the JB Tyres Cinema Cup as they narrowly lost a second round tie against a strong St Patricks side.

The visitors from Dumbarton reached the last four of the Scottish Cup only two years ago and were always likely to give the home side a stiff test.

Having done his homework, Minerva manager Grant McKie had prepared his strikers to face a defence that has always in the past played with a cavalier style and ultimately leaked goals.

However it was the home defence who were to blame for the visitors going ahead in the 13th minute.

A slick slide rule pass from midfield completely caught the Minerva back four as they moved up the park and McRory for St Pats found himself with only McCallum in goal to beat - not an easy task normally but the striker found the net at the keeper’s near side with an unstoppable shot.

In a typical cup tie with no quarter given, both teams continued to go at it hammer and tongs but Minerva just could not hit anywhere like match winning form.

Aside from a couple of really attacking runs from Minerva full-back Tommy Neil, the home side could not break down a dogged St Pats back four.

The visitors however continued to make good on their possession, adding to their lead in the 35th minute. Once again the Minerva defence would look back upon this one with equal disappointment.

The second half started with the visitors 2-0 up but facing a Minerva team rejuvenated by whatever the manager said to them at half-time.

Minerva immediately looked to get back into the game, but found a keeper in great form; within five minutes of the restart Mikey Boyle, Jamie Pollock and Ryan McCauley were all denied from close range.

The Minerva pressure though would continue to tell and the visitors finally capitulated on the hour mark when Boyle, with still a bit to do, gave the home side a well-deserved goal to put some pressure on St Pats going into the final third.

The home side continued to press for an equaliser; however after throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it they could not muster that all important second goal.

It was a disappointing exit from the cup for Minerva; as the holders they were looking to put up a more spirited defence but can ill afford to give opponents a two-goal start when playing in arguably the best amateur league in the country.

It has been a rather slow start to this season for Minerva, a series of suspensions, injuries and players unavailable due to working commitments has seen manager Grant McKie struggle to make an impact with his team in the league this season.

However, in their first seven league games they have played the top five teams in the league last season, all away from home.

Campsie Black Watch/Waterside 3 Steins Thistle 1

Campsie Black Watch/Waterside moved safely through to the third round of the Cinema Cup with this victory over their Allandale opponents.

An outstanding 45 minutes saw watch in a commanding lead after Steins made a great start to the game but could not make any inroads.

This was a total contrast to the previous week’s game against Blantyre.

The opening goal came in the 20th minute when O’Connell combined with Corr before placing the ball past Devlin.

The home side were reaping the benefits of their hard work and it was no surprise to see them go two up in the 28th minute.

A ball through the middle from Fitzpatrick went from O’Connell to Hannah who made a brilliant run through the defence and around the keeper to score.

Four minutes later it was 3-0 as hard work saw Aitken and Mackie get the ball through to Corr to score.

Steins players made every effort after the interval but the Watch defence stood firm until the 78th minute when a short passback from McLaren to keeper Wilson allowed McRoberts in to score.

This Saturday Campsie BW/Waterside take on Kilbride Thistle at Station Road in the Scottish Amateur Cup third round, kick-off 2pm.

No tote winners; £400 next week.

Lenzie YC

Lenzie YC under-16s enjoyed two fine CKDYL wins.
Goals by Thomson (2), Tolland (2) and Kelly gave them a fine 10-man victory 5-2 away to Calderbraes BC at Hamilton.
Lenzie also won by the same score at home to Rossvale Milan.
LYC took the lead through a Thomson goal before Vale scored from the spot. Lenzie captain Dudman then scored twice.
After the break Vale scored again but late goals from Thomson and Douglas sealed it.

Postal United

Moodiesburn side Postal United have announced that they are folding.

The club, which currently sits second bottom of the Foster’s Central Scottish AFL Premier Division, made the announcement on its Facebook page.

It was established in 1973.

Coming up

Fixtures for Saturday, November 5 -

Scottish Amateur Cup 3rd round - Bannockburn v Campsie Minerva, Cambusnethan Talbot v Kirkintilloch Thistle, Campsie Black Watch/Waterside v Kilbride Thistle, Clyde Valley Rovers v Cambria, Finnieston Park v Glasgow Harp, Harestanes v Colville Park, St Mungo’s v St Andrews

If you would like your team featured in our amateur football round-up, e-mail reports to [email protected]