Arbroath 4 Clyde 0: Horror show rocks Bully Wee

Arbroath jumped above Clyde into third in League Two as they gubbed the Bully Wee 4-0 on Saturday.
Martin Scott scores for Arbroath against Clyde (pic by Graham Black)Martin Scott scores for Arbroath against Clyde (pic by Graham Black)
Martin Scott scores for Arbroath against Clyde (pic by Graham Black)

Bobby Linn opened the scoring for the Lichties, Martin Scott netted a quickfire brace and Ryan McCord added the icing on the cake with a stunning long range lob at the end of the game.

Clyde had chances of their own but if anything did manage to get past Ricky Little and Colin Hamilton, Ricky Gomes was on hand to hold on to his clean sheet.

McCord found Linn with a tremendous pass on 10 minutes, the winger fed the ball inside to Jassem Sukar but Scott McLaughlin defended beautifully.

Martin Scott forced a decent save out of Gibson five minutes later, volleying Linn’s pass goalwards from the edge of the box.

Scott Linton whipped in a free kick from the flank after 25 minutes that evaded the Lichties defenders, but Martin McNiff’s glancing header was well wide of the target.

Linn gave Arbroath a deserved lead in the 31st minute, racing on to Scott’s through ball and firing the ball into the bottom right hand corner.

Linton’s long range raker was blocked by Little three yards from goal as Arbroath scrambled to keep their lead into the interval.

The hosts were back on top following the restart and after four minutes, Sukar burst inside Phil Johnston before seeing his drilled shot saved by Gibson.

Mark Whatley cleared a Bully Wee cross with a fierce header that only went as far as McLaughlin, who hammered a shot goalwards that was deflected out for a corner.

It should have been level inside the hour mark when Johnston chipped a ball into the box for Gormley, but somehow the forward turned his effort wide of the post with only Ricky Gomes to beat.

On 65 minutes Arbroath skipper Whatley forced a stunning save out of Gibson with a glorious strike from 25 yards, the ball was curling into the top right corner but the Bully Wee goalie was equal to the effort.

Scott got the second five minutes later, tapping the ball home from close range after Linn found him free inside the box with a clever pass.

And it was 3-0 right after with Scott again the scorer.

Clyde could’ve pulled one back on 76 minutes when Higgins met a lovely Linton cross with his head but Gomes got right down to deny the goal.

Substitute Josh Skelly was four yards away from the goal of the season just two minutes after replacing Linn, the Dundee loanee jinking past three defenders before whipping a strike just past the post.

McCord got the best goal of the afternoon four minutes before full-time with a gorgeous lob from 25 yards out that sailed over Gibson into the top corner.