Clyde beat Stirling Albion to keep alive play-off hope

Jack Boyle scores despite Stirling claims for offside (pic by Craig Black Photography)Jack Boyle scores despite Stirling claims for offside (pic by Craig Black Photography)
Jack Boyle scores despite Stirling claims for offside (pic by Craig Black Photography)
Clyde's push for a promotion play-off place was slowed up despite a 2-1 win over Stirling Albion at Broadwood on Saturday.

The Bully Wee overtook Elgin City to move into fifth place. But a late winner from Stenhousemuir in their match against Annan means Danny Lennon’s side are relying on results elsewhere for the final play-off spot.

Clyde started this particular game brightly, appearing confident and composed on the ball whilst also possessing a quickness on the break.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Despite this it was their opponents who created the first clear-cut opportunity on five minutes. Daniel Jardine curled in a free-kick before Kevin Nicoll’s poor clearance found Andy Little at the edge of the box. His header was weak though and fell nicely into the arms of Blair Currie.

In the 23rd minute, David Goodwillie came close, latching onto a loose ball, before attempting an ambitious scissor kick that kept Stirling keeper Cameron Binnie on his toes.

Goodwillie was at it again on the half-hour mark, this time linking well with Mark Lamont. Some nice interchanging passes resulted in Goodwillie finding himself in one on one; however he was eventually crowded out and his shot was collected at the near post by Binnie.

Truth be told it was a half devoid of any real clear-cut chances, the loudest cheer coming when a fan headed a wayward ball back into play from the stands.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Thankfully the second half more than made up for the first, as we got three goals within the first 15 minutes.

It was Clyde who opened the scoring in the 50th minute, Jack Boyle making the Stirling defence pay for their slack play, before taking advantage of a loose ball and making a bursting run into the box.

He had options but decided to go for it himself, calmly slotting it past the keeper and into the back of the net.

Stirling responded almost immediately, Jardine capitalising on a mistake in the Clyde backline before tipping a headed effort over the keeper into the net.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Controversy struck on 56 minutes when Goodwillie looked to have played through Boyle, who once again converted past the keeper.

At first, the referee’s assistant signalled for offside but changed his mind as it seemed that the initial ball from Goodwillie took a touch off a Stirling defender.

The game petered out after this and Clyde held on for a vital win that keeps them in contention for fourth place.