Danny the boy for Cumbernauld Colts as unbeaten run continues

Stephen O'Neill (right) battles for possession during Colts' win over BSC GlasgowStephen O'Neill (right) battles for possession during Colts' win over BSC Glasgow
Stephen O'Neill (right) battles for possession during Colts' win over BSC Glasgow
Cumbernauld Colts stretched their unbeaten Lowland League run to three months when they came from behind to beat BSC Glasgow at Broadwood on Friday night.

Colts were looking to bounce back from their Scottish Cup defeat at Stirling Allbion but the opening stages of the game provided little of note.

Jonathan Black drew a fine save from BSC ’keeper Moore and then should have done better than head over from a fine Richard Kirwan delivery.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But it was the Glasgow side who broke the deadlock when Colts failed to deal with a free-kick into the box and Corrieri’s effort sneaked into the corner from 12 yards, a deflection leaving ’keeper Sam George helpless.

Black forced another save from Moore with a low shot to his right but BSC remained a goal up at the break.

which the stopper gathered comfortably.

Having underperformed in the first half, Colts were better in the second period and Stephen O’Neill fired an effort just wide.

The home side’s equaliser arrived when Jamie Broadfoot delivered an excellent ball from the right which Michael Oliver met in the centre, the ball finding the bottom right hand corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Andy Selkirk and Black had efforts and Moore made an excellent save to deny O’Neill as Colts pushed for a winner.

The Glasgow side were reduced to 10 men when, following a flare-up involving several players, Ross McKinnon was shown a second yellow card.

However the numerical advantage lasted less than five minutes as Colts’ Ross Ballantyne was shown a second yellow for handball.

With just over 15 minutes to go Colts made a change, Daniel McDonald coming on for his debut in place of Black - and within 10 minutes he had scored his first goal for the club.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Selkirk cushioning a fine lofted pass into his strike partner’s path, McDonald hitting first time with his left into the corner with the aid of a slight deflection.

BSC skipper Gray almost levelled, cracking a wonderful 25-yard free-kick off the bar with George helpless, but Coolts held on to make it seven league games without a loss and just one defeat in 11.

Colts play their final game of the year away to champions Edinburgh City on Saturday.