Gemmell debut goal ends Clyde's barren run

John Gemmell heads home Clyde's winner against BerwickJohn Gemmell heads home Clyde's winner against Berwick
John Gemmell heads home Clyde's winner against Berwick
Clyde finally drew a horrendous run of four straight league defeats to a close on Saturday, edging out ninth placed Berwick with a 2-1 win in a cagey affair at Broadwood.

The game started slowly, with Clyde looking more likely to make the breakthrough than their visitors.

The first semblance of a chance came on six minutes, when Marvin Andrews headed a Scott Linton corner down into the arms of the awaiting Walters.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Andrews’ central defensive counterpart, Chris Smith, soon after had a glorious chance when a long ball into the box from a set piece fell to him at the back post, but he couldn’t keep his composure and put it over the bar.

Clyde did have the ball in the next on 15 minutes when the debuting Johm Gemmell headed a Ross Millen cross down to Higgins, but in truth the flag had gone up long before the forward squeezed it over the line.

Shortly after, Darren Lavery had the away side’s first attempt at goal, fizzing a 25 yard effort just over the bar.

On 29 minutes, what was arguably the chance of the half fell to Gemmell in the six yard box, but the front man couldn’t beat the keeper from what was a tight angle.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Clyde’s new number nine would soon have his name on the scoresheet, however, but not before Scott Linton tucked away a penalty given for hand ball on 32 minutes.

And then, what seemed like seconds later, Gemmell found himself on the right end of a cross from the left and headed it back where it came from into Walters’ bottom right hand corner.

After the second half started like the first, visiting manager John Coughlin brought out the cavalry. Finn Graham and Dylan Stevenson replaced Alan Walker and Michael McKenna and, whether coincidentally or not, the game soon livened up.

A stramash in the Clyde box led to Smith jumping to make a clearance off the line on 61 minutes. Then, before anyone had a chance to catch their breath, the ball was at the other end with Clyde breaking. Gemmell cut it back to David Gormley who found himself one on one with the goal at his mercy, but he somehow put it wide: the chance of the game without a doubt.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On 70 minutes, though, Berwick were on the scoresheet. The ball fell to full back Ewan McNeil 25 yards from goal on the right hand side, and his long range strike found Waters’ bottom right corner.

In one final throw of the Berwick dice, Sandy Cunningham was brought on for Blair Henderson, and he almost immediately found himself on the end of a McNeil cross at the back post but he couldn’t turn it in.

John Gemmell had another chance on 85 minutes, but he couldn’t get the required pace on his low drive as he turned and it was parried away by the outstretched arm of Walters.

Cunningham had one last chance for the away side on 89 minutes, but it was turned away, and with that, so were Berwick’s chances of taking anything from the game.