Kilsyth Rangers turn in five star show to book place in next round of Scottish Junior Cup

Kilsyth Rangers are safely through to the next round of the Scottish Junior CupKilsyth Rangers are safely through to the next round of the Scottish Junior Cup
Kilsyth Rangers are safely through to the next round of the Scottish Junior Cup
Kilsyth Rangers moved safely through to the second round of the Scottish Junior Cup with what in the end was a fairly decisive win at Burghead on Saturday.

But it took them quite a while to make sure of the result.

Despite Kilsyth taking an early two goal lead Burghead came back into it with a good goal and held out until well into the second half before Rangers added a third and thereafter were never in trouble.

There was an early start for players and supporters alike to make the long journey north but fine weather and a trim little stadium set amongst pine trees awaited them for this first round tie.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Kilsyth got an ideal start with Craig Hughes netting after only four minutes to give them the lead.

In 10 minutes they got a second goal. This time it was Willie Easton who hit a low shot from just inside the 18-yard line.

Rangere were totally dominating the game and the expectation was that it might turn out to be a cricket score. It was not to be though.

Burghead began to get their defence organised and with an old head, Ross, running the show in the centre they slowly began to get back into the match.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rangers were still having most of the possession but not getting too many shots on target and Robertson, after a shaky start, was dealing well with those that did come his way.

Then, just after the half hour mark, a slip up in the Rangers defence let Nichol waltz round Andy Carlin to knock the ball home.

After the break Rangers restarted where they had left off; well in charge but needing another goal to settle the team.

A change was made early with Paul McBride coming on for Easton.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A succession of corners did not bring any reward either but finally just on the hour mark Joe Barclay finally got a clear chance and added a third goal with a shot from close in.

The pressure on the team was visibly eased and the football became much more free flowing and a very good move involving several players gave Barclay the opporunity to grab a second goal a little later.

Marco Andreoni came on for Paul Stewart and had a good shot go narrowly over almost immediately.

Burghead kept plugging away although it was clearly now a lost cause for them and when Paul McBride added a fifth goal near the end it made the final scoreline look a much better indication of how Rangers had really dominated the match.

Kilsyth return to Super League Division One duty on Saturday at home to Ardrossan Winton Rovers, kick-off 2pm.

Related topics: