Rossvale promotion bid is over

Rossvale's bid for promotion to the Super League ended when they lost 2-0 at Lesmahagow last Wednesday night.

No promotion celebrations for Rossvale this season
No promotion celebrations for Rossvale this season

The Bishopbriggs side had been given a lifeline two nights before when ‘Gow surprisingly beat Wishaw, but they couldn’t take advantage, producing an uninspired and lacklustre performance.

Lesmahagow took the lead in 23 minutes when McGrory cut in from the left and slipped the ball under the onrushing Jamie Brown who had come off his line to narrow the angle.

The advantage was nearly doubled seven minutes later when Nicol got on the end of a Hall cross at the back post and couldn’t believe it as he watched his effort fly over the bar.

Rossvale’s only opportunity of note of the first half came on the stroke of half-time when Erald Krasniqi demonstrated a sublime piece of skill to control Corey Irvine’s diagonal cross on his chest before swivelling and firing off a shot at goal which went just over Barnes’s crossbar.

Lesmahagow deservedly doubled their advantage in the 68th minute.

From a throw out by ’keeper Barnes, Hall was allowed to make his way all the way to just outside the Rossvale penalty area before he drove a low right foot shot just inside Jamie Brown’s right-hand post.

Rossvale finally started to show some sort of spirit in the final 20 minutes but despite opportunities falling to Cassells, McKay and another from Krasniqi right at the final whistle they were unable to breach the resilient Lesmahagow defence.

Rossvale bounced back from their defeat on Saturday when they thrashed St Anthony’s 5-1 at Petershill to secure at least fourth spot in the Central First Division table.

At the match there was a guard of honour to James McKenna who is stepping down as St Anthony’s coach after 18 years and is wished good luck from everyone at Rossvale.

The home side made a positive start and with only two minutes on the clock Erald Krasniqi just missed out on getting on the end of a Jay McKay pass.

The deadlock was broken in the 20th minute when Alex Cassells fired in a low cross and Jay McKay steered the ball to the edge of the box for Krasniqi to coolly place the ball into the corner of Baker’s net.

All the remaining opportunities of the first period fell to St Anthony’s but they couldn’t make them count.

Rossvale doubled their advantage in 55 minutes when Kirk Forbes expertly curled a free-kick over the St Anthony’s wall into the top corner.

The game was put beyond St Anthony’s nine minutes later when Jay McKay had an easy finish from 10 yards after a fierce Jamie Hunter 25-yarder came back off the post.

It took McKay just two more minutes to score again, this time collecting a Forbes pass and firing in a shot which took a deflection and looped over baker.

Rossvale went nap in the 78th minute when substitute Gary Tussler demonstrated his electric pace to latch onto McKay’s pass and slip the ball beyond the outstretched right leg of Baker and into the bottom corner of the net.

With the clock reading 90 minutes St Anthony’s managed a consolation goal courtesy of a penalty, Gordon netting after the referee adjudged Sean Doherty guilty of climbing at a corner.

Rossvale are away to Vale of Clyde on (Wednesday) before completing their campaign at home to Thorniewood United on Saturday.