StrugglingColts beaten once more

Jordan Pirrie battles for the ball with a Dalbeattie defenderJordan Pirrie battles for the ball with a Dalbeattie defender
Jordan Pirrie battles for the ball with a Dalbeattie defender
A disappointing start to the season continued on Saturday when they went down away 2-0 to Dalbeattie Star in their second Lowland League fixture.

In fairness Colts were decimated by player unavailability, to the extent that coach Graeme MacMillan, who last played competitively over two years ago, had to come out of retirement to start at the heart of the visitors’ defence.

With so many issues at the end of a tough week the last thing the Colts needed was to concede another early goal, but unfortunately that’s exactly what happened.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Keeper Chris Fahey did well to palm away Lewis Sloan’s effort at goal but Drew Ramsay was caught napping as he allowed Tommy Muir to side foot home the rebound under no pressure.

A goal down after just three minutes, things nearly got worse for the visitors as MacMillan had to stretch on the slide to turn away from the home forward heading through on goal.

However a second Dalbeattie goal was only delayed until the 20th minute.

Ram,say failed to clear a corner and the ball ran through to Muir who cut inside the Colts left=-back and fired a ball across goal which Andy Ward, stooping to try and clear with his chest, could only manage to divert beyond Fahey into the net with the keeper helpless.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stephen O’Neill had Colts’ only real chance of the game when a ball in from the left from Craig Murray picked out the winger, but his header from six yards squirmed inches wide with the keeper helpless.

Things quickly went from bad to worse for the men in yellow.

From their own attack Ramsay was allowed to be left 1v1 with Iain Anderson and as Ramsay slid in the striker got there first, knocking the ball down the line.

Already committed to the tackle Ramsay’s momentum saw him bring the striker down and a red card - which even some home fans felt was harsh - had Colts down to 10 men.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After the break there was little in the way of goalmouth action, the home side unable to create much against the 10 men of the Colts which prompted the visitors to change shape in order to try and get back into the game.

Sean Brown was sent on for Jonathan Black to make two up front with Ross Kavanagh but lasted less than 10 minutes as he was shown Colts’ second red card of the afternoon

Brown robbed a defender who then tried to pull him back but play was waved on for advantage. However as the ball had moved further away from the Colts striker he had to stretch to try to get to the ball ahead of covering defender James Baty and was shown a red card for the challenge.

The decision seemed to sum up Colts’ first week of the season but the only positive was that the remaining nine pl;ayers refused to capitulate and worked hard to limit the damage.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Next up for Colts is a home match tonight (Wednesday) against a Preston Athletic side sitting second in the table with four points from their opening two games.

On Saturday Colts travel to face Selkirk, the only side below them in the table after the opening two rounds.