United see off ‘Super’ Arthurlie

Cumbernauld United 1 Arthurlie 1

(United win 3-0 on penalties)

D&D Magazine Central League Cup, first round

WITH United’s recent form who would have believed this result.

United on the day were a match for the Super League club and more than matched them to the extent that they should have netted at least three more goals. The visitors certainly put United under pressure for the first 15 minutes, but once United found their feet they began to counter the visitors’ efforts and let them know the rest of the game wouldn’t be an easy touch for them.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

United’s Renwick after a period of United pressure had a 30 yard effort held by keeper Parry on 28 minutes.

Arthurlie’s No. 7 McParlan replied four minutes later with an effort that went high over the United crossbar.

The game was played from end to end but neither side could get the opening goal and so at half time it was level.

The second half opened with Arthurlie on attack and a double save by United keeper Buchanan kept Arthurlie’s Arbuckle from netting. Again the pressure was put on United. But Andy Dearie & Co at the United rearguard were up to the task of keeping them at bay. United countered and first Thomson put in the clear should have netted, but unfortunately hit the ball over the bar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On 55 minutes, United should have scored when Kevin Watt was left with an open goal at the far post and headed a cross from the right into the side netting.

Five minutes later United were made to pay for these misses when Arthurlie’s Merriman from a free kick headed past Buchanan to put the visitors 1-0 ahead. The question now was would United wilt. The answer was no, and they kept going, working hard and playing some good football. Gary McClymont had a great chance to level the scores but in the clear hit over the Arthurlie crossbar with keeper Parry out of position. However, two minutes later Liam Mushet was in the right spot to knock home United’s equaliser after United piled on the pressure much to the delight of his fellow team mates. Neither side could get a winning goal and so it was straight to penalties to decide the tie.

Both Arthurlie’s Adam and United’s McClymont missed both sides initial penalty kicks. But David Marsh, Kevin Watt and John Renwick rattled in United’s next three with no reply from Arthurlie’s penalty takers.

So it’s round two for the Guys Meadow lads. Keep your eyes peeled for their opponents in the press.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A well deserved victory for United. They worked hard and although they did make some mistakes they showed they can still play good football, so keep it up lads.

This Saturday it’s Kilwinning away on league business with the usual 2pm kick off.

CUMBERNAULD UNITED: Buchanan, Mushet, Morrison, Marsh, Dearie, Renwick, Allan, McPhee, Watt, McClymont, Thompson. Subs: Gibson, Barclay, McFarlane, Steele, McNally, McLaughlin.

ARTHURLIE: Parry, Lundie, Crawford, Merriman, F. McKeown, Keenan, McParlan, Blair, Arbuckle, McLaughlin, Adam. Subs: Boyle, S. McKeown, Rowan.

Related topics: