50 YEARS AGO
* Law Hospital student nurse Frances Sanderson, of 44 Unitas Crescent, Carluke, became a registered nurse after successfully passing her final examination of the General Nursing Council for Scotland.
* The new Fiddler's Bridge at Braidwood was to be completed in September — 18 months after its start. It was being built by Murdoch Mackenzie Ltd at a cost of 70,000.
* A bid by Mr F Wright, of Carluke's Black Bull Hotel, to obtain a seven-day licence was rejected at Lanark Burgh Court, after objections were heard from both the police and local ministers. The court reduced the existing certificate to that of a public house.
* Carluke Rovers outside right Tommy McKinstray withdrew from the Scotland junior international squad for the following day's game against Ireland at Belfast, due to injury.
* A 20-year-old Biggar farm labourer was fined 15 at Lanark Sheriff Court and banned from driving for one year, after admitting driving while under the influence of drink at Wellgate, Lanark.
* New figures showed that unemployment had gone down by 203 in February, to 11,252.
100 YEARS AGO
* Law man Mr Waddell had a young black hen which seemed to be something of a phenomenon. On her first attempt to lay an egg, she produced one which weighed three and a quarter ounces. She then broke that record by laying an egg which weighed four and a half ounces.
* Under the conductorship of Mr Hugh McCartney, New Lanark Juvenile Choir were to provide entertainment in Largs Hall, with choruses, part songs, action songs, solos, duets, dialogues and sketches.
* A collision between a car and a lorry in Loch Road, Lanark, resulted in the lorry hurtling out of control towards the town. The car was slightly damaged.
* Carluke Town Hall, for one night only, was to stage the Scott's Royal Electric Cinematograph and High Class concert party
* In the For Sale section of the Gazette was a Silver Lustre Tea Set, 135 years old.
* Carluke Hearts lost 2-1 to Cadzow St Annes in a fourth round Scottish Juvenile Cup tie at Whitehill Park. Carluke's goal came via a penalty by E Watson.
* Crossford team Craignethan Thistle enjoyed a 2-1 win at Douglas United, in a severely contested match.