Home groans for Lenzie and Allan Glen's

Both Lenzie and Allan Glen's suffered home defeats in their BT West Division 1 matches on Saturday.
Action from Allan Glen's match with CarrickAction from Allan Glen's match with Carrick
Action from Allan Glen's match with Carrick

Allan Glen’s went down 28-0 to Carrick while Lenzie were beaten 44-14 by Newton Stewart.

In a great game to watch the main difference between Allan Glen’s and Carrick was that Carrick finished well and Glen’s did not.

The home scrum destroyed the opposition and gained more than their fair share of the lineout but the visitors backs had the ability to stretch the home defence and make the inevitable touch downs.

Action from Lenzie's match with Newton Stewart.Action from Lenzie's match with Newton Stewart.
Action from Lenzie's match with Newton Stewart.

Ewan Alexander opened the scoring for Carrick after five minutes with Kyle Johnson adding the extra points.

Five minutes later John Fulton scored for the visitors, Johnson again converting, and things were beginning to look somewhat bleak for Glen’s.

However they rallied and had 15 minutes sustained pressure on the Carrick line, but repeated attacks failed at the last hurdle.

Just before the break Carrick scored again through Allan Speirs and with Johnson continuing his fine kicking form the half-time score was 21-0.

Action from Lenzie's match with Newton Stewart.Action from Lenzie's match with Newton Stewart.
Action from Lenzie's match with Newton Stewart.

Immediately after the break Greg Montgomery broke through the home defence to score Carrick’s fourth, Johnson again converting.

The remainder of the game was mainly Glen’s as they had by far the majority of possession and produced numerous attacks on the visitors’ line through backs and forwards.

They deserved more than one score but this failed to materialise due to naivety in finishing and a stubborn Carrick defence.

Meanwhile despite Lenzie’s defeat a large crowd at Viewfield were treated to a cracking game of rugby.

Newton Stewart, pushing Glasgow Accies hard for promotion, deserved their win against a determined Lenzie side but the score flattered the visitors a little.

Lenzie started strongly and gained immediate territory, but a mistake was exploited well by Newton Stewart who scored an early unconverted try.

The visitors quickly followed this score up with a well constructed team try, but the home side were competing well and exerted significant pressure on Newton Stewart line before Mackay opened Lenzie’s account with a well taken converted try

Both sides looked dangerous in possession and the visitors worked another team try despite a great defensive effort from Lenzie.

Lenzie were playing with confidence and retained the ball well to set up Scouller who broke through the defence to score.

Both teams tested each other out for a period and a missed tackle allowed the visitors to extend their lead to 24-14.

Lenzie were then unfortunate not to score immediately before the break when Condie and MacKay put McDermott clear only for a controversial forward pass call to the relief of the visitors.

Following the break both sides played attractive rugby with a mixture of forward drives and good handling and movement within the backs.

However Newton Stewart ran harder on to the ball and utilised the inside ball to their advantage to run out winners in a competitive game.

This was a much improved Lenzie performance and they can be pleased with their efforts against a strong and well balanced Newton Stewart side.

Best for Lenzie were Letford, Williams, Scouller, Arnott and McDermott with Innes Mackay being awarded player of the day from the coaching staff.

Related topics: