Wood scores 200th QP goal

Not until the 35th minute did Montrose fans see their first goal at home to Queen’s Park.

A fairly lacklustre first half hour from the Spiders belied a couple of early missed chances for the hosts, giving them a boost of confidence as they headed towards the dressing room one up at half time.

The one person who did everything right was Montrose’s Watson who drilled the ball into the net.

A red card for Quinno after 51 minutes seemed to spark the Spiders into action and, a few minutes later, the scoring was level and, just 90 seconds after that came another goal for the visitors, 2:1 to Queen’s.

Wharton’s long ball was knocked back into the middle, where substitute Rooney turned on it to fire low into the corner. It was their 200th league goal against the Links Park side but, far more importantly, put the Spiders in control.

Queen’s tried to kill the game with a third goal and introduced Ciaran McElroy for McPherson.

McElroy almost had a dream start as his first touch of the ball was a left-footed shot that just lacked the power to beat McKenzie low down at his near post.

Three minutes later and it was Carter who forced McKenzie into action.

The front man’s glancing header was goalbound but the fingertips of the keeper clawed it wide.

McKenzie was again the home side’s hero moments later when he turned a shot that was arrowing towards the top corner round his post.

As the game went into its final 20 minutes, Quinn produced a hat-trick of blocks in quick succession to retain the lead for the visitors.

Both sides were going for it now and Woods had a chance to settle the nerves when he set off on a trademark run.

He left every defender in his wake – only to find McKenzie standing tall to beat away his final shot.

However, with 10 minutes to go, Campbell got the better of Mitchell, set off down the line and crossed to the far post where Wood slid in to score the team’s double century of goals.

Both sides had their moments as the clock ticked away, but the best chance of all fell to the visitors.

Quinn was by now playing as an auxiliary centre forward and he showed a nimble touch to turn and play in Woods.

Paul looked as if he had to score but took the ball a shade wide and McKenzie again blocked his effort.

It was the last goalmouth action of the 90 minutes that produced a result that suited neither team, ending in 2:2.