In 1890 the original pub had its name changed to the Queen’s Park Cafe.
This was because the temporance movement was at its height and with Queen’s Park being such an affluent area the pub was under threat of closure, so like many other pubs it was called a cafe to give it respectability.
This popular Southside local has maintained its popularity with legends like the late Mark McManus of Taggart fame who considered it his local.
Mark also was a keen lepidopterist who gave talks to local Govanhill Primary schools on butterflies.
Other famous patrons are Billy McNeill – the all time Celtic legend, Benny Rooney who managed the pub for over 15 years, and Mick Davis – the Hollywood film director and screenplay writer.
To celebrate the occasion the Cafe is putting on entertainment between 7pm and midnight on Saturday, July 7.
This will include the Carlton Jug Band, Sandy Vagabond, Louis Macbeth and Roscoe.