city smash forfar 8:1

There was little sign of a cup final hangover as Glasgow City defeated Forfar Farmington 8-1 to stay at the top of the SWPL thanks two goals each from Abbi Grant, Clare Shine and Rhonda Jones, with singletons from Georgie Rafferty and Jo Love.

Despite three games in seven days and four players from the cup final starting eleven unavailable, City came out of the blocks with all guns blazing and raced to a 5-0 lead at the break.

Abbi Grant got the party started with a curling shot past Fiona McNicoll on five minutes after being set up by Captain Leanne Ross. Another good ball from Ross almost created number two for City moments later but Denise ‘Sullivan’s header went just wide.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Defender Georgie Rafferty opened her account for the reigning champions on 12 minutes, finding the back of the net after some delightful link-up play by City, and recent signing Clare Shine followed suit by netting her first goal for the club, firing into the bottom corner with a half volley.

Rhonda Jones was next on the scoresheet volleying home from a Leanne Ross corner on 26 minutes to make it 4-0. Ross had an effort which went just over the bar and McNicoll pulled off a double save as City pushed for another goal, before Shine made it 5-0 directing a Jo Love shot into the back of the net.

Forfar keeper McNicoll was in fine form and she brilliantly denied Jones just before the break and then Grant on 60 minutes after Erin Cuthbert played her team mate through. City did eventually make it 6-0 with Jo Love finishing on the back of another Leanne Ross assist and Grant made it 7-0 after a terrific solo run.

Shine was again denied a hat-trick by the outstanding McNicoll after the keeper came out on top on a 1v1 with the striker and the home side got a consolation goal pulling one back after Lindsey Dunbar netted midway through the second half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Another great solo run by Grant looked destined for a goal but the City striker shot over and Shine had an effort cleared off the line as the away side searched for goal number eight.

Substitute Carla Boyce was denied by McNicoll in the closing stages, but City finally got their eighth goal when Rhonda Jones fired home with 2 minutes of normal time remaining.

Commenting on the game, first team coach Donald Jennow said: “The third game in a week is often a tough one in terms of the players freshness. What was really pleasing about today’s start was that we showed no signs of sluggishness. The players’ first two attacks came about as a result of some sharp one-touch passing and that set the tempo for us.

“We moved the ball well today and the rotation of positions was as good as it has been for a while. When we combine those two factors, we are capable of creating a lot of problems for the opposition.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“The mid-week final probably showed in our performance at some points in the second half. Our play wasn’t quite as sharp as in the first half but the players still created a number of really good chances. Kodie Hay and Carla Boyce also contributed, having stepped up from the development squad and so all round a very good end to a great week for the club.”

Glasgow City are back in action when they take on Hamilton Accies next Sunday at the Excelsior Stadium Airdrie, 2.30pm. Entry is £5 adults, £3 concessions and Under 16’s go free.

Related topics: