Conditions the real winner as Glen's and Lenzie lose out

Rugby sides Lenzie and Allan Glen's suffered similar misfortunes on Saturday as they both ended up on the wrong end of 12-0 defeats.
Lenzie (above) and Allan Glen's both lost their latest league gamesLenzie (above) and Allan Glen's both lost their latest league games
Lenzie (above) and Allan Glen's both lost their latest league games

Lenzie went down to near-neighbours Waysiders/Drumpellier in a BT National League Division 2 encounter while Allan Glen’s were defeated by Garnock in a Division 1 match.

Lenzie made the short journey to Coatbridge hoping to build on their encouraging win over Clydebank the previous week, their first victory of the current campaign which they began hoping to regain their Division 1 status following last season’s relegation.

But on a miserable day on which to play rugby they were stifled by a well organised Waysiders/ Drumpellier side and suffered their fourth defeat in five matches.

The match never got flowing and Lenzie suffered badly with penalty decisions. Coach Carswell will be looking for better decision making and ball retention for the remaining games.

Waysiders played a forward’s game and whilst Lenzie matched them for most of the game, they were rewarded a penalty try early on then scored a well worked try in the corner to finish the game.

Best for Lenzie were Moir, Carmichael and Marshall with Letford being the pick of the team. Next week Lenzie are at home to Cambuslang with a 3pm kick-off.

Meanwhile Glen’s travelled to Garnock looking to bounce back from their home defeat by Carrick the previous week.

But the atrocious conditions resulted in a rather dour and uninteresting game at Lochshore.

With a stubborn defence provided by both sides it was two minutes before half-time before Garnock managed to manufacture an overlap to allow Rory Walker to score in the corner.

A very good conversion kick by brother Keir Walker added the extra points.

Fifteen minutes into the second half a period of sustained pressure on the visitors’ line provided a drive over score for Watson which Walker failed to convert.

The game continued in a 50/50 fashion but although Glen’s provided most of the scoring opportunities they just could not breach the home defence.

Both teams suffered from the extreme weather conditions which spoiled what could have been a very exciting match.

The defeat left the Bishopbriggs side in sixth place in the table with two wins from five ahead of Saturday’s home game with East Kilbride.