Colts go fourth with latest win

Andy Ward puts Cumbernauld Colts 2-0 up against ThreaveAndy Ward puts Cumbernauld Colts 2-0 up against Threave
Andy Ward puts Cumbernauld Colts 2-0 up against Threave
Cumbernauld Colts broke their home duck on Saturday as they beat Threave Rovers 3-1 to notch up their first Lowland League win at Broadwood.

Colts went into the game having lost their three previous home matches but with a 100 per cent record from their away fixtures.

And this win over the bottom side in the division has now lifted the new boys up to fourth place in the Lowland League table.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The home side made a positive start, shifting their guests around and creating an early chance for Selkirk.

Good play between Barclay, Oliver and Broadfoot released McIntyre on the right who delivered to Selkirk who saw his shot blocked away at the near post.

O’Neill stung the palms of the Threave keeper as he cut inside from the left before curling another effort narrowly over the top in a similar passage of play.

An opening goal looked inevitable and it came from O’Neill, keeping up his record of a goal every game.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He cut out a pass before dribbling past two players to unleash a right-foot effort low to the keeper’s right from 18 yards.

It was soon two, skipper Ward opening his account for the club.

Broadfoot delivered a corner from the Colts left, the keeper blocking the initial header. Ward though was alive, reacting first to blast high into the net first time.

Fine play between Broadfoot and Grant released Kirwan on the left and his pullback was dummied excellently by Selkirk, the ball running into the path of Barclay with his first time effort flying inches wide.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Broadfoot was unfortunate not to score as he linked well with Selkirk and Grant to race through, not quite catching his effort cleanly from 18 yards with the keeper managing to turn it round the post at full stretch.

There was a third coming and when it did it was another superbly worked goal.

O’Neill picked up the ball on the left and played a fine pass into Selkirk who showed great awareness with back to goal to cushion to his right, Barclay running onto the inviting lay-off to curl beyond the keeper into the bottom right corner for 3-0.

Further efforts came from O’Neill, Kirwan and Selkirk before Threave had their only chance of the half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Kirwan attempted to play offside but got it wrong as the pass found the striker through. With Kirwan racing back the striker fired towards the top corner, George diving to his right to make a fantastic save.

Into the second and a moment of slackness in the home defence gifted Threave a goal, the striker racing through and squaring to his supporting midfielder who fired past George with little chance.

Munn replaced Grant on 60 minutes to make his debut before Selkirk was replaced by Black.

Further chances came for Barclay and O’Neill before McIntyre forced a save from the keeper low to his right.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Broadfoot was replaced by Ballantyne for the closing 10 minutes or so, Ballantyne getting valuable game time into his legs following his return to the squad.

It finished 3-1, the first half far better than the second but the three points move the Colts to fourth ahead of their meeting with third placed Spartans at Broadwood tonight (Wednesday).