Have Partick Thistle timed title push just right as they face Falkirk showdown?

If good timing is the key to success then Partick Thistle look as if they’re about to win a watch.
Ian McCall's Partick Thistle are one win away from the League 1 title (pic: Michael Gillen)Ian McCall's Partick Thistle are one win away from the League 1 title (pic: Michael Gillen)
Ian McCall's Partick Thistle are one win away from the League 1 title (pic: Michael Gillen)

Having waited virtually the whole season to hit the front in the League 1 promotion race, Ian McCall’s men are just 90 minutes away from making sure they can’t be caught before they get to the finishing line.

Tuesday’s 2-2 draw at Cove Rangers means Thistle will clinch the title, and book a return to the Championship at the first time of asking, if they beat Falkirk at Firhill tonight (Thursday).

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Thistle went top of the table for the first time all season when they won 2-0 at Dumbarton in their final match before the split last Tuesday.

A 1-0 win over Airdrie on Saturday, courtesy of a Brian Graham goal, strengthened their position as rivals Cove and Falkirk obligingly took points off each other in a 2-2 draw.

Now Tuesday’s draw at Cove has put the title, and a return to the second tier following their bitterly contentious relegation, within touching distance.

Thistle got off to a flier at Cove by opening the scoring in just seven minutes, Scott Tiffoney’s free-kick from the left somehow ending up in the net, with Zak Rudden claiming to have got the final touch.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But Cove were level in the 20th minute, Rory McAllister netting from the penalty spot after Tifffoney’s foul on Scott Ross.

The Aberdeen side looked to have blown the title race wide open when a thumping long-range strike from Ryan Strachan put them in front with just 15 minutes to play.

But the visitors displayed the spirit of potential champions by responding within a couple of minutes, Tiffoney adding to his eventful evening by firing the ball past Stuart McKenzie to restore parity.

Jags boss McCall told the club website ptfc.co.uk afterwards: “That game could have ended 6-6 to be honest. There were so many chances in that second half and naturally you come away disappointed that we didn’t win but they’re a really good side.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“I think the game lacked structure really which probably made it an exciting watch for the neutral but it wasn’t easy viewing in the dugout.

"We know what we need to do on Thursday now so we need to recover well. Falkirk didn’t play tonight so they’ll be relatively fresh but hopefully adrenaline can help carry our boys through.”

Related topics: