Carluke Rovers and Lanark United draw 1-1 in friendly return

Lanark United have had mixed fortunes upon their return to playing friendly matches after the long coronavirus sabbatical.

Cammy Lawson netted for Lanark United
Cammy Lawson netted for Lanark United

United came back to action with a 1-1 draw at local rivals Carluke Rovers last Thursday night.

Lanark scored first through skipper Cammy Lawson towards the end of the first half, Lawson netting following a corner after Shug Kerr’s initial effort had been blocked.

But Carluke equalised late on with a stoppage time penalty by Kwaku Nyame, who netted from 12 yards after the spot kick had been awarded for handball by Lanark’s Davy Collins.

United didn’t fare so well at home to Blantyre Vics on Saturday, with the away side leading 2-0 by half-time.

Vics then scored two more quick goals at the start of the second half to kill the game off.

It then became 5-0 for the visitors before Lanark grabbed a late consolation goal through Ian Watt who shot home following an excellent through ball by Andrew Gilchrist.

Lanark’s trio of friendlies within a few days ended on Monday night when they won 4-1 against Larkhall Thistle at Dalziel Park in Motherwell.

The Yowes’ goals came courtesy of James Martin, a Peter O’Donnell corner which hit the Thistle keeper and went into the net, an Aaron Neill header and a Watt shot into the net after his initial free-kick had been blocked.

Larkhall pulled a goal back late on with the best strike of the game when Graham Gracie chipped the keeper from just about on the halfway line.

Lanark’s Covid Compliance Officer Craig Martin said: “Everybody at the club was quite buoyed to be playing the first friendly against Carluke.

“The second one, we had a bad preparation for the game with people being late and what have you.

“It was just one of those games where everybody was getting a bit tetchy with each other. And I think it’s just the whole situation (with Covid-19) for everybody.

“It was the same players who were there on Monday night and it was just a totally different atmosphere.”

At time of going to press, United were due to have a home friendly against Lesmahagow this Saturday, KO 2pm.

Other friendlies over recent days saw Carluke Rovers under-20s lose 3-2 at home to Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers on Friday despite goals by Liam Sneddon and Adam Lynch.

And Carluke Rovers’ first team were humbled 9-3 at Rutherglen Glencairn on Saturday, with Rovers goals by Nick Aitchison, Jordan Conlon and James Frame.

Forth Wanderers produced an excellent display for the first 70 minutes of Saturday’s friendly at Larkhall Thistle, before a late collapse saw Forth have to settle for a 4-4 draw.