Lenzie and Glens both go down to table toppers

Rugby sides Lenzie and Allan Glen's both suffered narrow home defeats at the hands of their respective league leaders on Saturday.

Action from Lenzies win over Cambuslang
Action from Lenzies win over Cambuslang

Lenzie went down 29-26 to Cambuslang in a cracking BT West Division 2 game.

The visitors went in front early when their strong running backs forced their way and Senter went over for a converted try.

Lenzie responded well and Scouller broke through some weak tackles to score a converted try. But Cambuslang always looked dangerous when they moved the ball with Jones at stand off controlling the play.

Lenzie break through for a try against Cambuslang

Lenzie were playing rugby too close to their line and paid the price when Cambuslang scored another three tries to lead 26-7 at half-time.

The home side were determined to take the game to Cambuslang in the second period and scored early on when McBride burst through out wide for a welcome score.

Lenzie kept the pressure up with Slade, Williams, Fraser and Mackay showing up well and Scouller scored his second try to bring Lenzie back into the game.

Cambuslang were now struggling to gain territory and Lenzie levelled the score at 26-26 when Arnott linked with Nisbet to put McBride in the corner for a great score converted by Scouller.

Lenzie break through for a try against Cambuslang

Lenzie were now searching for the winning score and were unfortunate to concede a soft penalty in the final minutes for Cambuslang to win the game.

Despite the defeat Lenzie will take confidence from this performance into their remaining matches. Man of the match was Gregor Fraser.

Meanwhile Glen’s managed to snatch a 24-21 defeat from the jaws of victory against Division 1 leaders East Kilbride.

A great display by Glen’s backs made life difficult for the visitors who relied on their hefty pack to pick and go for most of the match.

Glen’s opened the scoring when a kick ahead gave McLay a score which Moffat converted. The visitors immediately responded through Atkin who barged over from close range. Shankie added the extra points.

Immediate retaliation came from Glen’s No 8 Murrell giving them the lead once again but this was narrowed considerably when Hughes went over for EK’s second try, making the half-time score 14-12.

In the second half the home backs often threatened to breach the visitors’ defence but two tries soon after the restart, first for the visitors by Atkin and the second for Glen’s by McKeown, made the score 21-19.

Glen’s appeared to have the game in the bag as within a couple of minutes of time there was no further scoring.

However, a last gasp try by Ellison for the visitors, aided and abetted by some lax defence by the home side, gave EK the win.

This Saturday Glen’s are at home to Annan while Lenzie make the short trip to Cumbernauld.

Both matches kick-off at 3pm.