This week in 2004
SALVATION ARMY CONVERTED: The former Salvation Army premises in Edward Street would be transformed into flats. Permission for change of use on the historic site was granted by North Lanarkshire Council. The corps had folded the year before and Banknock-based businessman C. Ross thought the premises would be ideal for residential purposes.
This week in 1964
DEVICE INTRODUCED: Local police had a new weapon in their arsenal – a radio instrument which enabled officers to catch motorists speeding. Billed as being ‘‘easily transportable’’ the device was being set up at local roadsides and manned by two officers. The duo would be in radio contact with colleagues stationed several hundred yards along the road. It would be their job to stop the offending motorists and show them their high reading. Unlike some other areas of Scotland, no signs would be erected to warn motorists that they were being monitored.
This week in 1954
CHARITY DANCE: The Children’s Gala Day committee would stage what was billed as a Grand Late Night Dance in Queenzieburn Miner’s Welfare. Music would be ably provided by Sam Peoples and his Melody Makers. The fun would kick off at 10pm and end at 2am.
This week in 1924
REVAMP AFOOT: Market Street would be closed for a six week period as the entire street layout was reconstructed. The works were so extensive that the public was asked to stay away from the area altogether.