Rovers slip six points behind leaders after loss

Carluke Rovers slipped further off the promotion pace with a disappointing 2-1 home Central Division 2 defeat by Ashfield last Saturday.
Ian Watt fires home Carluke Rovers' goal against Ashfield (Pic by Sarah Peters)Ian Watt fires home Carluke Rovers' goal against Ashfield (Pic by Sarah Peters)
Ian Watt fires home Carluke Rovers' goal against Ashfield (Pic by Sarah Peters)

Rovers are six points behind leaders Port Glasgow after a game which early on saw keeper Daniel Tobin forced into a seventh minute save before John Renwick completed the clearance.

Tobin saved another Ashfield effort before Rovers created their first chance but Lewis McDougall’s shot was turned away for a corner.

He then set up Ian Watt for a chance but his left foot finish was weak and easily saved by the visiting keeper.

Ashfield took the lead in the 21st minute when they won a corner on the right and a front post ball was struck home by Moulangou for 1-0.

Rovers’ only other chance of this poor first half came when a Watt effort went out for a corner before Mark Weir’s tempting ball across goal had no takers.

Carluke started the second half a bit brighter with Jonny Wilson and Scott Burns linking well as Wilson progressed into the Ashfield area where he was upended but no penalty was given.

Watt set up Carluke’s next chance when his good work on the left saw him feed Stuart Mitchell but his effort was saved.

Rovers’ task to get back into the match was not helped in 60 minutes when Weir was sent off for a second caution but they did in fact get the next goal when McDougall set Watt free with a good ball and from the right of goal Watt fired in an unstoppable shot high in to the net for 1-1.

Ashfield stepped up the pace from this point and Tobin brought off another good save with Renwick clearing the ball off the line before Ashfield then missed an open goal with the chance of the match.

Carluke’s final chance came when they worked a corner to Watt but his effort was high and wide of target.

The scoring was completed in the 81 st minute when to the amazement of everybody in the John Cumming Stadium the young referee awarded the visitors a penalty for a very innocuous looking challenge by Jordan Duncan which Dymock scored for 2-1 to the visitors.

Rovers match reporter Craig Martin said: “The penalty was cruel on us. It upset the apple cart.

“The scope is still there for us to have a good season but there will need to be an improvement.

“We have a big squad and the quality is there. Getting that quality out of them is the hardest part.”