’Well crash to 2-0 United defeat

Two late Dundee United goals consigned Motherwell to a 2-0 defeat in their second Scottish Premiership fixture of the new season on Saturday.
Defeated...Motherwell manager Ian Baraclough (Pic Ken Macpherson)Defeated...Motherwell manager Ian Baraclough (Pic Ken Macpherson)
Defeated...Motherwell manager Ian Baraclough (Pic Ken Macpherson)

An 83rd minute Louis Laing own goal and an injury time clincher from United sub Simon Murray sunk ’Well, who had played some good stuff and looked impressive for most of the match.

“On the balance of play I feel the result was undeserved,” said ’Well manager Ian Baraclough.

“I feel for our players. I feel we were better than we were last week at Inverness and we’ve got nothing to show for it.

“For me we’re on the right track.

“I thought Louis Laing was immense all afternoon so the own goal was a bit hard for him to take.

“When you do have a lot of the play and you do have chances, it shows you that if you don’t take your chances you are always under threat from the counter.”

Motherwell had earlier started tha game well, with winger Marvin Johnson’s third minute shot from 20 yards being saved by United keeper Luis Zwick as the home team dominated.

But United gradually gained a stranglehold and ’Well keeper Connor Ripley had to look lively to brilliantly turn Scott Fraser’s 32nd minute shot round the post.

The last chance of a goalless first half saw United’s Charlie Telfer force Ripley into a save after a Blair Spittal pass.

In an end to end second half, Ripley made a point blank save from Telfer before ’Well blew a great chance when Scott McDonald’s pass sent Johnson running in on goal but his shot was too close to Zwick.

The hosts spurned another great opportunity a minute later when Joe Chalmers shot over from close range after Josh Law’s great run and cross on the right.

And they were made to pay when Laing turned Murray’s cross into his own goal, prompting wild scenes of celebration from the away fans.

’Well pushed keeper Ripley up into the United box for an injury time corner, but the decision backfired as United broke up the park to add the killer second when Murray shot past the scrambling Ripley who’d rushed back.

Motherwell: Ripley, Hammell, Laing, McManus, Fletcher (Moult 61), Johnson, Lasley, Chalmers (Thomas 65), Law, Leitch (Clarkson 78), McDonald.

Dundee United: Zwick, Dixon, Souttar, Erskine (Murray 78), McGowan, Telfer (Muirhead 70), Durnan, Spittal, Fraser, Donaldson, Bodul (Connolly 72).

Attendance: 4859

Referee: Bobby Madden