Motherwell crushed by Celts

Motherwell ended their Scottish Premiership campaign with a humiliating 7-0 battering at Celtic Park on Sunday.

Celtic thrashed Motherwell at Celtic Park on Sunday (Library pic)
Celtic thrashed Motherwell at Celtic Park on Sunday (Library pic)

With 40-goal Leigh Griffiths not in the Celtic line-up due to suspension, hopes had been high that fifth placed ’Well could end their campaign with another positive result at Parkhead following on from their impressive 2-1 win there in December.

But in truth the Steelmen were never at the races and the vast superiority of champions Celtic – for whom Ronnie Deila was taking charge of for the final time – was such that losing only seven goals actually flattered ’Well.

The visitors made a slow start and could have been several goals down in the first 15 minutes.

Ryan Christie’s weak effort was saved by Connor Ripley before Tom Rogic shot weakly at the ’Well goalie. Ripley then stopped Christie’s close range shot with his legs.

Stefan Johansen shot wide with his left foot before Ripley did well to tip Rogic’s left footer from 25 yards over the bar.

From the resultant corner, Morgaro Gomis cleared Mickael Lustig’s header off the line.


Ripley made a great 20th minute save from Christie before Celtic finally made the breakthrough their dominance deserved when Kieran Tierney scored with his right foot after cutting in from the left.

Motherwell’s first meaningful attack of the half saw Marvin Johnson’s fine 23rd minute run ending with a poor cross into the area.

Celtic went two ahead when Rogic shot home the rebound after Stuart Armstrong’s initial effort had come back off the post.

And it was 3-0 on 29 minutes when Armstrong’s corner from the left was headed home at the back post by Lustig.

Ripley saved from Roberts before Celts somehow failed to go four up before half-time when Christie missed an open goal when he shot the rebound over after Rogic’s initial shot had been blocked.

It was 4-0 just five minutes into the second half when Armstrong volleyed home brilliantly into the top left corner from the edge of the box.


The fifth goal arrived when Patrick Roberts beat Ripley from outside the box with another stunning shot.

And the rout got even more emphatic on the hour mark when Christie shot home Roberts’ pass.

The Steelmen’s nightmare got worse on 77 minutes when debutant Joe Aitchison shot home after a defensive mistake.