Staff from The Capelrig pub ran out to use fire extinguishers on the engine compartment of the red Alfa Romeo, which was billowing smoke in the Glasgow suburb of Newton Mearns.
The car – less than a year old – ended up on its roof on Sunday evening, leaving eye witnesses shocked as they emerged from a local branch of Aldi.
One bystander said:”The guys from the bar were magnificent.
“I thought the car was going to burst into flames.
“They brought extinguishers out of the pub and used it to get rid of the smoke.”
The crash, which happened just after 6pm, caused tailbacks on the M77 motorway as it occurred next to a slip road.
The incident was attended by the crews of two appliances from Scottish Fire and Rescue, Police and Ambulance staff. A nurse was seen leaning inside the vehicle, trying to help the trapped man.
No-one from the pub was available for comment.