Motherwell 0-3 Hibernian: Second half Boyle, Doidge and McGinn goals condemn Steelmen to defeat

Motherwell manager Stephen RobinsonMotherwell manager Stephen Robinson
Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson
Second half goals from Martin Boyle, Christian Doidge and Stephen McGinn condemned Motherwell to a 3-0 home Scottish Premiership defeat to Hibernian at Fir Park on Saturday.

The first goal effort came for Hibs after five minutes when Bevis Mugabi's headed clearance fell for Joe Newell who volleyed wide with his left foot.

Another Hibs attack saw the ball cleared to Melker Hallberg who shot wildly over.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Motherwell’s first scoring chance came when Liam Polworth's fine pass allowed Callum Lang to turn Hibs captain Paul Hanlon on the right flank and Lang's fizzed cross was turned wide by Tony Watt.

Motherwell were dominating the attacks now and the returning Allan Campbell launched a long range effort which Hibs keeper Ofir Marciano parried away unconvincingly on 36 minutes.

Lewis Stevenson’s poor headed clearance for the visitors was pounced on by Stephen O’Donnell, whose whipped cross from the right only just evaded Watt in the centre.

Motherwell had a 'goal' disallowed on 40 minutes when Polworth's free-kick was nodded across goal by Lang for Mugabi to score with a header but offside was given by referee Andrew Dallas.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A brilliant 50-yard run by O’Donnell following a Hibs corner saw him cross for Watt whose shot went over.

Hibs were then foiled by Archer who saved from Boyle from point blank range after a McGinn cross.

But the visitors did score on 58 minutes when Boyle was picked out at the back of the penalty box and shot in off the far post.

Mugabi and Campbell then set up Long whose left footed effort was deflected for a corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Steelmen were then desperately unlucky when Polworth's flighted corner from the right was met powerfully by Mugabi's head but the ball came back off the inside of the right post.

O’Hara’s 67th minute free-kick from the edge of the box then flew over.

Motherwell survived a major scare on 84 minutes when Boyle’s shot from a Stevenson pass was deflected narrowly wide.

It was 2-0 Hibs on 87 minutes though when Doidge slotted low past Archer after a Boyle pass. And the visitors added a late third when Stephen McGinn shot in after good work from Nisbet.

Motherwell: Archer, McGinley, Campbell, O’Hara, Mugabi, Polworth (Hastie 82), Lang, Gallagher, Watt, O’Donnell, Long (Seedorf 69).

Referee: Andrew Dallas